Our multi-disciplinary team consists of professional scientists, engineers and software developers, many of whom are internationally recognised within their fields. From our offices in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we apply our decades of experience in scientific consultancy to deliver bespoke, tailored solutions to a global customer base. We work closely with our customers to provide links between data and understanding in diverse geoscience disciplines: from geology, hydrogeology and geochemistry to geophysics and reservoir engineering.
We use our in-house modelling software (ConnectFlow and project-specific bespoke software solutions) together with third-party modelling packages to solve fluid flow and solute transport problems that typically arise in sites under consideration for geological disposal of nuclear waste. ConnectFlow has also been employed in modelling fractured reservoir rocks for the petroleum industry and hydrothermal reservoirs for geothermal projects.
Our consultancy offering includes:
- Integrated site-scale and field-scale modelling of fracture occurrence and fluid flow
- Modelling of near-surface hydrological processes and their interactions with subsurface flow and transport
- Modelling of radionuclide releases to support environmental safety case assessments
- Simulation of well tests, cross-hole tests, pumping tests and tracer experiments
- Advanced data processing and analysis, including the design and operation of large geospatial databases
- Coupled thermal-, hydro-, mechanical- and chemical process modelling of field-scale investigations and laboratory-scale experiments
- Calibration and optimisation of environmental models, using inverse methods
- Linear and non-linear assessment of model predictive uncertainty
See the Case Studies page to read more about recent projects. We also provide broader consultancy in a number of related areas, including experimental studies and inventory and disposability assessments.